stink horn

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 00:05:14 EST 1999

>The color of the stink horn is orange/blackish
>> has like four string like arms coming out of the top with egg clusters
>> under the soil. They grow very rapidly and spread like fire!!! We would
>> appreciate if anyone could get back to us with some help.

Most likely Pseudocolus fusiformis (Fischer) Lloyd (= Pseudocolus
schellenbergiae, = Colus schellenbergiae) based on frequency in the northeast
U.S.

As has been suggested: This thing is loving whatever you are using for mulch...
hence: use something else.

Best wishes,

David W. Fischer
Writer ~ Editor ~ Proofreader ~ Graphic Designer/Typographer
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America"
and "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Website: http://www.fischer.nu