fungi in Ohio? 5-31-99

Eric Kasten kasten at
Sat Jun 5 00:05:33 EST 1999

Loyd812 <loyd812 at> wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to find what kind of fugi I have found
> found in mid Ohio today.   growing in a cedar mulch pile that surrounds a small
> tree.
> this specimen is about 3" in length, 3/8" in diameter... a white-ish pink base
> and dark red on the tip. the fungi is about the size and shape of the average
> little finger and comes to a point simular to a crayon. it also has a smell
> like a dead animal.   I would like some help as to how i can identify it, a
> location that may have photos.
>  In all my 30 plus years living here, I have never seen it before.

Sounds like what is often called a stink horn (haven't got the species
name handy at the moment).  A saprophitic mushroom that apparently
likes to attract flies.  I usually get a few of these growing on some
of my beds of wood chips, although not usually on cedar mulch -- the
fact that the cedar isn't detering the growth of the fungi (or at least
its tendency to fruit) is in itself somewhat interesting. Are you sure
it's cedar?

Eric Kasten
kasten at
National Superconducting Cyclotron Lab