ID this?

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Sat Jun 5 00:05:24 EST 1999

>However, a person in NY state who died of lepiota
>poisoning was apparently quite knowledgeable and is said to have made the
>right identification of L. josserandii or a close relative.

My understanding is that the gentleman thought he had Lepiota procera
(=Macrolepiota procera) or one of the similar-size (large) parasols, and had
based his I.D. on folk knowledge from Europe---a sure-fire formula for
misidentification and disaster.

Best wishes,

David W. Fischer
Writer ~ Editor ~ Proofreader ~ Graphic Designer/Typographer
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America"
and "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Website: http://www.fischer.nu