fungi in Ohio? 5-31-99

Andrew Grant adgrant at nospam.com
Sat Jun 5 00:06:04 EST 1999

In article <19990601001622.14550.00007975 at ng-co1.aol.com>, loyd812 at aol.com
(Loyd812) wrote:

>Hi, I am trying to find what kind of fugi I have found
>found in mid Ohio today.   growing in a cedar mulch pile that surrounds a small
>tree.
>this specimen is about 3" in length, 3/8" in diameter... a white-ish pink base
>and dark red on the tip. the fungi is about the size and shape of the average
>little finger and comes to a point simular to a crayon. it also has a smell
>like a dead animal.   I would like some help as to how i can identify it, a
>location that may have photos.

   What you have is almost certainly a stinkhorn.  I don't know of any
website that would help although there may be some.  You could check with
your library and see if they have some mushroom guides.  A good one is
"Mushrooms Demystified" by David Arora, he includes several species of
stinkhorns and has a couple of pages of general information.
--
My email address in the header is altered to avoid junk mail.  If you wish to contact me by email substitute "water.waterw" for "nospam"
Andy Grant