help---identification of fungi

Russ Bulluck lrbulluc at unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 2 00:44:30 EST 1999

The Anamorph of _Laetiporus_sulphureus_ is _Sporotrichum_versisporum_.  I'm not
exactly sure what S. versisporum looks like, but the genus _Sporotrichum_ usually
(I think, I don't have any references in front of me)  has relatively simple
condiophores, with conidia borne laterally and apically, usually in groups.
Conidia are one-celled, hyaline, and globose to ovoid (in other words, round, and
clear).

As to how to identify them in culture. . . That's another can of worms
altogether.  First look at the culture under a dissecting microscope, to make sure
that culture is uncontaminated (with other fungi or bacteria) and is sporulating.
Then make a squash mount of the fungal culture (after transferring aseptically to
a new plate to maintain the fungus in pure culture).  Morphology of the spores
will be much more discernible once a squash mount is made.

Squash mount:  using a flame-sterilized dissecting needle, cut a small chunk of
the culture out, lift it up and place on a slide containing water, or Lacto-phenol
Cotton Blue.  Place a cover slip on chunk, and press with handle of dissecting
needle.

Once the squash mount is made, identification is a matter of practice, and
experience.  There are courses devoted to identifying fungi, and many people have
much expertise in the matter (especially in this group).

Hope this has helped (and has not wasted your time). . . Russ

Russ Bulluck
Ph.D. Student
Department of Plant Pathology
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7616
Raleigh, NC  27695-7616

The soil population is so complex that it manifestly cannot
be dealt with as a whole with any detail by any one person,
and at the same time it plays so important a part in the soil
economy that it must be studied.
--Sir E. John Russell
The Micro-organisms of the Soil, 1923