Fungi Found 5/20/99

truffler1635 at my-dejanews.com truffler1635 at my-dejanews.com
Tue May 25 13:12:38 EST 1999

In article <Pine.GSU.4.05.9905202219300.14905-100000 at garcia.efn.org>,
  "8-)" <kcb at efn.org> wrote:
> South Willamette trail, Lowell Oregon, proved plentiful on survey hike
> today.  Hiking mainly for Pleurotus other fungi were "spring"-ing up
> everywhere. Excuse my ameteur spelling.
> Dachromyces palmatus, Auriscalpium vulgare, Polyporous Elegans, Fomitopsis
> cajanderi, Helvella macropus, F. pinicola, Morchella esculenta,
> Scuttelinia scutellata, hygrophorus, Pleurotis, Peziza, many LBM's and
> possibly freshly inoculated Cryptoporous on hemlock. Last week on the
> same trail an Elaphomyces was found where a rodent ate the entire peridium
> down to a thin wall. Clever to avoid the ripe spore mass and leaveing the
> truffle whole, shaved on a log. The rodent probably learned through trial
> and error.
>  E-mail kc <kcb at efn.org>

Fascinating finds all, kc! RE the Elaphomyces, evidently at least one
general division of this genera, E. muricatus, has adapted by rodent
predation primarily of the peridium by including small clumps of spores
imbedded within the peridium! Thus even nibbling on the outside of the
truffle give the roden considerable spore ingestion and ensures the
continuation (and dispersal) of the fungus. Many Elaphomyces I have
found predated on have broken into the gleba at least a little bit. Even
that is enough spores ingestion to ensure thousands of spores per
"pooparoonie" as Chris Maser likes to call fecal pellets.

I was especially interested to learn of Cryptoporus on hemlock. I have
come across this interesting beetle-spread fungus before, but almost
exclusively on true fir. Hmmm. Maybe that's a good way to control true
firs in Ponderosa pine stands...