Sniffing out matsu's (Was Re: Matsutake yet?)

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Nov 5 13:11:20 EST 1999

In article <38201511.119787854 at news.uniserve.com>,
  glen_leon at sunshine.net wrote:
> Still waiting here in SW BC.

Since posting the original, there have been scattered matsu's coming up
around the state. The commercial pick appears to be in full swing in
Southern Oregon, and I was able to find a single matsutake
(accidentally) in Tillamook county while harvesting truffles. My
experience with matsutake is not great. I begin to wonder if I shouldn't
try it more though, since I apparently smell them long before they are
above ground. I would swear there was at least another matsutake where I
found the first one, but I couldn't see a single hump or bump anywhere!

Do other hunters use their noses too?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/