Amanita muscaria

Kenneth W Cochran kwcee at sph.umich.edu
Fri Oct 15 16:27:55 EST 1999

Concerning poisoning from Amanita muscaria, the Mushroom Poisoning Case
Registry has received reports involving 72 human cases with good or
probable identifications and single species; 61 in adults.  The only
death was an adult male, described as a "habitual mushroom eater, found
dead in tent- cold weather may have contributed to death  [Michigan's
northern lower peninsula in October]...gastric contentsT300 grams
appeared to be mostly mushroomTnegative toxicity screen."  Cats seem to
be attracted to A. muscaria, fatally so in 3 of 8 reported cases.
The Registry <www.sph.umich.edu/~kwcee/mpcr>invites reports of mushroom
poisonings  The cases need not be recent, as long as one is certain
enough of the data to complete the report.
Kenneth W. Cochran, Chair, NAMA Toxicology Committee