Amanita Agaricus or other?

Rebecca Belling rebellin at vt.edu
Sat Oct 23 10:03:42 EST 1999

Hi Doug,

I can't identify your mushroom for you, but just one word of advice.  It
looks like you are running into a snag in your I.D., and part of the
problem may be a bit of confusion:  Agaricus and Amanita are two
*different* genera.  Agaricus tends to have a chocolate-brown spore
print, and Amanita definitely is a white-spored fungus.  Lepiotas are
also white spored.

It does sound like you have an Agaricus from your description.  One
other thing you may want to do--cut/ bruise the flesh, and look for a
staining reaction.  If you have some good photos, they may help in any
identification.

Sorry I can't be of more help!
becky