Where does Russula end and Macowanites begin?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Oct 29 12:00:21 EST 1999

In my collecting today for the Mt. Pisgah Arboretum Mushroom Show this
Sunday, I came acros a mostly hypogeous mushroom, apparently a Russula,
although the gills are close and crowded, and cross-hatching is obvious.
I know that hypogeous forms of Russula-related fungi are called
Macowanites, and I have collected some specimens from this group. While
in my experience Macowanites seldom has exposed gills and *flasher*
Russulas do, where does the distinction occur? I find a lot of hypogeous
Russula which have strong stems and fully-expanded pileus: and I still
consider these totally from the Russula family. OTOH, I also find
epigeous/partially hypogeous Russula-like fungi with the gills poorly
developed (if at all), and mostly vestigial stems. Are these actually
Macowanites or some intermediary form? Anyone want to comment?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.