Mushroom ID?

Fungi01 at aol.com Fungi01 at aol.com
Mon Sep 13 10:02:16 EST 1999

today we were out hunting in a hickory woods in Pennsylvania and found
collybia subnuda growing on small twigs in moss.  We found a different
mushroom about 6 inches away from a dead hickory stump comming out of the
soil that from the top appeared to be a bolete but when my wife pulled it up
we discovered we had something very unusual.  The cap is circular and
brownish colored and has a wavy margin.  The cream colored pores decend
partway down the stalk.  The stalk is beige colored and about 1 inch wide and
1 1/4 inch tall, it is central.  It has a root that is dark brown colored it
is about 1/2 inch wide and an inch long but was much longer because it broke
off when pulling it up, even where it broke it is still 1/2 inch wide.  As
for its really unusual feature the cap also has triangular raised projections
that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide!!!  There are about a dozen of them.
So far i looked in the 4 vol. Fungi of switzerland, Alan Bessette's fungi of
north eastern North America, George Barron's Book, and The Lincoff's Audubon
guide but i cant even find a genius not to mention a species.  This is a real
puzzle since it has such distinctive features.  Have any ideas?

                  John