Mushroom ID?

Moselio Schaechter mschaech at sunstroke.sdsu.edu
Wed Sep 15 18:31:58 EST 1999

At 8:02 AM -0700 9/13/99, Fungi01 at aol.com wrote:
>today we were out hunting in a hickory woods in Pennsylvania and found
>collybia subnuda growing on small twigs in moss.  We found a different
>mushroom about 6 inches away from a dead hickory stump comming out of the
>soil that from the top appeared to be a bolete but when my wife pulled it up
>we discovered we had something very unusual.  The cap is circular and
>brownish colored and has a wavy margin.  The cream colored pores decend
>partway down the stalk.  The stalk is beige colored and about 1 inch wide and
>1 1/4 inch tall, it is central.  It has a root that is dark brown colored it
>is about 1/2 inch wide and an inch long but was much longer because it broke
>off when pulling it up, even where it broke it is still 1/2 inch wide.  As
>for its really unusual feature the cap also has triangular raised projections
>that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide!!!  There are about a dozen of them.
>So far i looked in the 4 vol. Fungi of switzerland, Alan Bessette's fungi of
>north eastern North America, George Barron's Book, and The Lincoff's Audubon
>guide but i cant even find a genius not to mention a species.  This is a real
>puzzle since it has such distinctive features.  Have any ideas?
>
>                  John

I cling at straws.  Obviously you would have found it in the books you
consulted, but could you have a Strobilomyces?  Some of the features fit,
maybe the warts, the wavy margin (if by that you mean veil remnants).
Most of the features don't fit, however, so this is probably off the mark.
The color of the cap does not sound like that of Strobilomyces, either
floccopus or confusus,  although Smith & Thiers (Boletes of Mich.) say the
color in the  former goes from black to "mummy-brown", whatever that is.
In both species, the pores change from white to gray with age, not cream
colored.   The pores are not decurrent (but adnate-subdecurrent in small
specimens [S&T]).  Nor is the stipe beige.   No "root."  Is there hope  for
the warts, which in S. confusus are:  "very acute erect spines which are
denser towards the center..." (S&T)?

In conclusion, you have made an interesting find.  Let us know what you
find out.

Elio Schaechter