Mushroom ID?

Scott Mcphee hyphae at email.msn.com
Wed Sep 15 18:32:54 EST 1999

My guess would be that it is a Strobilomyces. There is a picture of S.
floccopus in the Lincoff/Audobon book (Plate 379). There are also pictures
at these links:

http://www.polaris.net/~annep/FloridaFungi/strobilo.html
http://websun.nybg.org/bsci/res/hall/floccop.html

I have only seen it in books; I would love to find it some day (I live on
the West Coast). It is a fascinating fungus!

Scott

Fungi01 at aol.com wrote in message <99928fe.25070c76 at aol.com>...
>today we were out hunting in a hickory woods in Pennsylvania and found
>collybia subnuda growing on small twigs in moss.  We found a different
>mushroom about 6 inches away from a dead hickory stump comming out of the
>soil that from the top appeared to be a bolete but when my wife pulled it
up
>we discovered we had something very unusual.  The cap is circular and
>brownish colored and has a wavy margin.  The cream colored pores decend
>partway down the stalk.  The stalk is beige colored and about 1 inch wide
and
>1 1/4 inch tall, it is central.  It has a root that is dark brown colored
it
>is about 1/2 inch wide and an inch long but was much longer because it
broke
>off when pulling it up, even where it broke it is still 1/2 inch wide.  As
>for its really unusual feature the cap also has triangular raised
projections
>that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide!!!  There are about a dozen of them.
>So far i looked in the 4 vol. Fungi of switzerland, Alan Bessette's fungi
of
>north eastern North America, George Barron's Book, and The Lincoff's
Audubon