Mushroom ID?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Sep 15 18:34:24 EST 1999

In article <99928fe.25070c76 at aol.com>,
  Fungi01 at aol.com wrote:
> today we were out hunting in a hickory woods in Pennsylvania and found
> collybia subnuda growing on small twigs in moss.  We found a different
> mushroom about 6 inches away from a dead hickory stump comming out of the
> soil that from the top appeared to be a bolete but when my wife pulled it up
> we discovered we had something very unusual.  The cap is circular and
> brownish colored and has a wavy margin.  The cream colored pores decend
> partway down the stalk.  The stalk is beige colored and about 1 inch wide and
> 1 1/4 inch tall, it is central.  It has a root that is dark brown colored it
> is about 1/2 inch wide and an inch long but was much longer because it broke
> off when pulling it up, even where it broke it is still 1/2 inch wide.  As
> for its really unusual feature the cap also has triangular raised projections
> that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide!!!  There are about a dozen of them.
> So far i looked in the 4 vol. Fungi of switzerland, Alan Bessette's fungi of
> north eastern North America, George Barron's Book, and The Lincoff's Audubon
> guide but i cant even find a genius not to mention a species.  This is a real
> puzzle since it has such distinctive features.  Have any ideas?
>
>                   John

Phaeocollybia would have long rooting structures, along with
Oudmansellia. But I don't know of any with hicory, and none with the
"triangular raised projections that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide"
that you describe. Such projections may suggest exagerated warts from an
Amanita, especially a species with a wide volva.

Of course, there is yet another possibility: you may well have found a
species novum! Be sure to slice and dry the specimen you found for
future references. Also note any nearby trees (other than hickory) and
shrubs in the area: these may be potential symbionts.

Glad I was able to share my ignorance with you, John.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/