Mushroom ID?

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Wed Sep 15 18:36:20 EST 1999

Fungi01 at aol.com wrote:

> today we were out hunting in a hickory woods in Pennsylvania and found
> collybia subnuda growing on small twigs in moss.  We found a different
> mushroom about 6 inches away from a dead hickory stump comming out of the
> soil that from the top appeared to be a bolete but when my wife pulled it up
> we discovered we had something very unusual.  The cap is circular and
> brownish colored and has a wavy margin.  The cream colored pores decend
> partway down the stalk.  The stalk is beige colored and about 1 inch wide and
> 1 1/4 inch tall, it is central.  It has a root that is dark brown colored it
> is about 1/2 inch wide and an inch long but was much longer because it broke
> off when pulling it up, even where it broke it is still 1/2 inch wide.  As
> for its really unusual feature the cap also has triangular raised projections
> that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide!!!  There are about a dozen of them.
> So far i looked in the 4 vol. Fungi of switzerland, Alan Bessette's fungi of
> north eastern North America, George Barron's Book, and The Lincoff's Audubon
> guide but i cant even find a genius not to mention a species.  This is a real
> puzzle since it has such distinctive features.  Have any ideas?
>
>                   John

I only have access to books on European mushrooms, but have had a look
for clues in Prof. Meinhard Moser's key. The important feature is the
decurrent pores. The best matches I found were

Boletinus Cavipes (Opat.)Kalchbr.
  (but the Boletinus genus requires larches)
Gyroporus Castaneus (Bull.ex Fr.)Quel.
  (Coniferous and Deciduous forest)

Both of these have hollow stalks and a veil over the cap which could
possibly cause the triangular projections. Note that a hickory _stump_
is no indication, as all boletes require roots of _living_ trees.
Neither genus is common.

The Suillus genus also has decurrent pores on occasion, but the caps
are generally sticky and none of them really get near.

Sorry I can't do any better, but this might give you a lead.

Edwin Hutton.