Mushroom ID?

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:55:09 EST 1999

truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <99928fe.25070c76 at aol.com>,
>   Fungi01 at aol.com wrote:
> > today we were out hunting in a hickory woods in Pennsylvania and found
> > collybia subnuda growing on small twigs in moss.  We found a different
> > mushroom about 6 inches away from a dead hickory stump comming out of the
> > soil that from the top appeared to be a bolete but when my wife pulled it up
> > we discovered we had something very unusual.  The cap is circular and
> > brownish colored and has a wavy margin.  The cream colored pores decend
> > partway down the stalk.  The stalk is beige colored and about 1 inch wide and
> > 1 1/4 inch tall, it is central.  It has a root that is dark brown colored it
> > is about 1/2 inch wide and an inch long but was much longer because it broke
> > off when pulling it up, even where it broke it is still 1/2 inch wide.  As
> > for its really unusual feature the cap also has triangular raised projections
> > that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide!!!  There are about a dozen of them.
> > So far i looked in the 4 vol. Fungi of switzerland, Alan Bessette's fungi of
> > north eastern North America, George Barron's Book, and The Lincoff's Audubon
> > guide but i cant even find a genius not to mention a species.  This is a real
> > puzzle since it has such distinctive features.  Have any ideas?
> >
> >                   John
> >
> Phaeocollybia would have long rooting structures, along with
> Oudmansellia. But I don't know of any with hicory, and none with the
> "triangular raised projections that are about 1/4 inch tall and wide"
> that you describe. Such projections may suggest exagerated warts from an
> Amanita, especially a species with a wide volva.

I am disappointed, Daniel. The species described has decurrent _pores_,
whereas Phaeocollybia, Oudemansiella and Amanita all have gills, which
are
also not decurrent.
Hasn't Mushrooms Demystified supplied any clues? I know you use it.

> Of course, there is yet another possibility: you may well have found a
> species novum! Be sure to slice and dry the specimen you found for
> future references. Also note any nearby trees (other than hickory) and
> shrubs in the area: these may be potential symbionts.

Now this is an exciting possibility. Do you know the appropriate
American
authority on fungi? (In the UK it is Kew Gardens, who are always
prepared
to identify specimens.)

Edwin Hutton