Mushroom ID?

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:58:19 EST 1999

kccrafts wrote:

> Ok,  Gilled or not? How big is the cap?  Though it is impossible to
> identify anything without the mushroom in hand, it sure is fun to play the
> ID game in this newsgroup.. The game seems to start every fall.  But
> without knowing the spore material or cap size I would recomemd looking up
> 'Lepiota rachodes' due to the size of the raised projections on the cap.
> But, it is only a thought since I don't have enough info to guess!  kc

Yet another guess by someone who has not read all the features. The
unknown species has decurrent cream _pores_. Lepiota Rhacodes has
white free _gills_.

I have to admit that the scales on the cap are a big problem. Due to
the lack of success so far it is proving more and more likely that
John has found a new species. John, you must follow Daniel Wheeler's
advice and dry a specimen, write down as good a description as you can,
note all the living trees within, say, 20 yards, and send the package
to the best authority in your area. Also go back and see if you can get
any more - if you do dig up some more specimens.

By the way, in some other newsgroups I would suspect a clever troll,
it would be nice to know this is genuine.

Edwin Hutton.