Unknown Shaggy Chocolate-Brown Mushroom

Russ Bulluck lrbulluc at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Sep 24 13:22:30 EST 1999

"Hoffelder, Michael" wrote:

> A friend showed me a picture of a mushroom from his
> photo survey of life around Dunbar Creek in SW PA.
> It can be viewed at:
> http://members.xoom.com/sherwingws/Plants_and_Fungi/index.htm
> by selecting "Fungus Cap Unknown Z" in the "Common Name" category.
> This mushroom does seem similar to the Strobilomyces photos
> referenced in the replies to Fungi01 at aol.com:"Mushroom ID?"
> However this mushroom is totally dark brown with very long spikes
> coming off of its cap that give it a shaggy appearance.
> Can anyone ID this bizarre-looking mushroom?
> Mike

I think you're right.  Looks like a shaggy bolete to me!  (Strobilomyces
Russ Bulluck
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Plant Pathology
North Carolina State University
PO Box 7616
Raleigh, NC  27695-7616

The soil population is so complex that it manifestly cannot
be dealt with as a whole with any detail by any one person,
and at the same time it plays so important a part in the soil
economy that it must be studied.
--Sir E. John Russell
The Micro-organisms of the Soil, 1923