Mystery Mushroom

Nathan Wilson velosa at cinenet.net
Tue Sep 28 14:00:37 EST 1999

Looking at the photos, it is definitely an Amanita.  Based on the species
I'm familiar with our here on the west coast (US) it's somewhere between
Amanita magniverrucata and A. smithiana except for the brownish tone of
the warts.  It also might be in the A. thiersii group which typically grow
in grassy areas.  I'd have to spend some time with a key to get any
closer.  The person I'd contact about it if I couldn't find a good match
in the standard guides is Rod Tulloss.  I don't have his email address
handy, but I can find it if you're interested.

Enjoy!
-Nathan