Wierd algae or something in aquarium

David Ramsey djramsey at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 29 13:21:57 EST 1999

One of aquarium plant newsgroups said that perhaps someone on this group
could be of help
This stuff is growing in a freshwater aquarium. Any ideas or help would be
greatly appreciated.
Can anyone tell me what kind of algae or stuff this is? I tried scraping it
off last weekend when there was only one piece and syphoned all I could
find. Now I have half a dozen colonies of it. (Sunday)
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae1.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae2.jpg
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae3.jpg

The fish and algae eaters won't get near it, neither will the snails. I
marches across the glass 2-3 inches a day.
This is a 29 gallon tank, heavily planted, been going great for almost a
year. 3 20watt bulbs, co2, occasional Seachem Flourish and additional
calcium.
Here is a closeup picture of 'the blob' taken this morning (Tuesday). The
color is
off. It is a creamy white, with some brownish tinges to the front edge.
There are now about 12 of these things, mostly moving to the plants now. A
couple went to the surface and float, these were sucked up. The Maracyn that
I treated the water with yesterday morning has had no effect.
http://www.mindspring.com/~djramsey/algae5.jpg
Any suggestions? Break down and bleach is coming to my mind as the only
solution. None of the other tanks are infected/affected with this stuff.

David Ramsey
Lawrenceville, GA.