Biggest, Smallest?

Rex Swartzendruber rexs13 at hotmail.takethispartout.com
Thu Apr 13 19:06:16 EST 2000

Oxyporus nobilisimus is listed in the ROD. It has since been renamed
Bridgeoporus
nobilisimus. Another interesting note: Bondarzewia montana was listed in the
ROD and has been renamed to Bondarzewia mesenterica. Source: "Handbook to
Strategy 1 Fungal  Species in the Northwest Forest Plan," by Michael A.
Castellano, et. al., October 1999, USDA. I have found both of these fungi
before.

I sometimes get just a little bit excited:

I have found numerous Tricholoma magnivelare buttons, Cantharellus formosus,
Hydnum repandum  and Russula brevipes parasitized by Hypomyces lactifluorum
specimens each weighing over 1 pound.

The largest single fruiting body that I have found was a Sparassis
crispa in 1997. I was able to take about 67 percent of it (the rest was
wormy). The
part that I removed filled three "double" mushroom baskets (the large ones
in which Chanterelles are usually shipped) and weighed 41 pounds. Needless
to say, I have added that site to my list of areas to hunt. During the past
three fall seasons this site has also produced: Tricholoma magnivelare,
Tricholoma flavovirens,
Boletus edulis, Boletus pulcherrimus, Gomphus clavatus, Gomphus floccosus,
Gomphus spp.?,
Cantharellus formosus, Cantharellus infundibuliformis, Cantharellus
subalbidus, Russula brevipes, Russula xerampelina, Hydnum repandum,
Pseudohydnum gelatinosum, Cortinarius spp. (purple). I'm sure that I
overlooked other fungi as I was searching for edible species.

The largest truffle that I have found was a Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale
(1996). It weighed 1.25 pounds. The largest Leucangium carthusiana that I
have found tipped the scale at 1.12 pounds (1996).

The largest Morchella specimen that I found was a M. esculent, in 1985, that
measured 17.5 inches from base to tip. There were two other large ones there
but they were not fully intact. I had passed within 10 feet of these on
several other forays (they were probably smaller then). My friend, Glen,
photographed it before I cut it in half and stuffed it with crab, cheeses
and herbs then baked it. It was great.

I found a Boletus edulis(? the huge coastal bolete) in 1992 that weighed 6.8
pounds when intact. It would not fit in a 5 gallon bucket. After trimming
off the wormy parts I still had over 5 pounds of edible mushroom.

Rex Swartzendruber
www.trufflezone.com