Biggest, Smallest?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sat Apr 15 05:27:53 EST 2000

In article <vuoJ4.301$Sd2.16666 at news.uswest.net>,
  "Rex Swartzendruber" <rexs13 at hotmail.takethispartout.com> wrote:
> Oxyporus nobilisimus is listed in the ROD. It has since been renamed
> Bridgeoporus
> nobilisimus.
Thankss Rex. That was what I was looking for.
 Another interesting note: Bondarzewia montana was listed in the
> ROD and has been renamed to Bondarzewia mesenterica. Source: "Handbook to
> Strategy 1 Fungal  Species in the Northwest Forest Plan," by Michael A.
> Castellano, et. al., October 1999, USDA. I have found both of these fungi
> before.
Forgive my saying so, but that seems more than just a little strange.
Bondarzewia montana (=mesenterica) is a fairly common fungus that I
associate with root rot. To call it an important fungi in the ROD seems
a little odd, as I would associate it with poor forest health.

> I sometimes get just a little bit excited:
>
> I have found numerous Tricholoma magnivelare buttons, Cantharellus formosus,
> Hydnum repandum  and Russula brevipes parasitized by Hypomyces lactifluorum
> specimens each weighing over 1 pound.

They are fairly common on the coast. It's not unusual to find clusters
of these large fungi, expecially when hiding under Sword fern.
> The largest single fruiting body that I have found was a Sparassis
> crispa in 1997. I was able to take about 67 percent of it (the rest was
> wormy). The
> part that I removed filled three "double" mushroom baskets (the large ones
> in which Chanterelles are usually shipped) and weighed 41 pounds. Needless
> to say, I have added that site to my list of areas to hunt.
I located another Sparassis last year that was relatively small: only 8-
10 pounds or so, I didn't weigh it. Just brought it home and dried it
for future use. The aroma, by the way, of dried material is even better
than fresh, IMHO.
 During the past
> three fall seasons this site has also produced: Tricholoma magnivelare,
> Tricholoma flavovirens,
> Boletus edulis, Boletus pulcherrimus, Gomphus clavatus, Gomphus floccosus,
> Gomphus spp.?,
> Cantharellus formosus, Cantharellus infundibuliformis, Cantharellus
> subalbidus, Russula brevipes, Russula xerampelina, Hydnum repandum,
> Pseudohydnum gelatinosum, Cortinarius spp. (purple). I'm sure that I
> overlooked other fungi as I was searching for edible species.

I know that some people consider many of the Gomphus edible. But I'd be
careful about sharing them with others, Rex. And I'd be _very_ carefuly
with any Cortinarius species.
> The largest truffle that I have found was a Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale
> (1996). It weighed 1.25 pounds.
Did you happen to get a photo of this? The largest that Dr. Trappe has
reported was just over 8 ounces, located near Sweet Home, OR. While
several specimens over 5 ounces were located, nothing over 8.5 ounces
has been reported before to my knowledge.
 The largest Leucangium carthusiana that I
> have found tipped the scale at 1.12 pounds (1996).
I hope you got photos of that one to, Rex. Truly a monster if it can be
verified.

> The largest Morchella specimen that I found was a M. esculent, in 1985, that
> measured 17.5 inches from base to tip. There were two other large ones there
> but they were not fully intact. I had passed within 10 feet of these on
> several other forays (they were probably smaller then). My friend, Glen,
> photographed it before I cut it in half and stuffed it with crab, cheeses
> and herbs then baked it. It was great.

According to Nancy Smith Weber, Oregon's "Cottonwood Morel" may not be
M. esculenta. I'm not sure what it is being called at this time, but it
may be a new species. While it is more golden than other Oregon morels,
it does not have the truely golden color of eastern US M. esculenta.
> I found a Boletus edulis(? the huge coastal bolete) in 1992 that weighed 6.8
> pounds when intact. It would not fit in a 5 gallon bucket. After trimming
> off the wormy parts I still had over 5 pounds of edible mushroom.
I found one of those false B. edulis last year and displayed it at the
Mt. Pisquah Mushroom Show in Eugene last year. It was very wormy when
found, and holding it overnight in a warm environment made for lost of
larval growth before it went on display. By the time the display was
over, the mushrooms was too far gone to salvage at all. And I was hoping
to save the pores for dessication and propogation. BTW, I was told by
Dan Luoma that it is not B. edulis, but rather a species unknown to me.
But it certainly looks like B. edulis, just overgrown.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.