Biggest, Smallest?

Rex Swartzendruber rexs13 at hotmail.takethispartout.com
Sat Apr 15 19:02:44 EST 2000

<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:8d7ll1$qsf$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
-snip-
> Forgive my saying so, but that seems more than just a little strange.
> Bondarzewia montana (=mesenterica) is a fairly common fungus that I
> associate with root rot. To call it an important fungi in the ROD seems
> a little odd, as I would associate it with poor forest health.

The fungi placed in the ROD were not placed there because of any certain
"importance" in the ecosystem (the decomposers are important, too:-{). These
are fungi that had been reported from areas associated the spotted owl that
had been reported but only rarely. They were on a list drawn up by a group
which I believe consisted of Dr. Trappe,  Dr. Denison, and I believe Dr.
O'Dell and Dr. Castellano. Dr. Castellano spoke about it at the March NATS
meeting.

To place Cantharellus formosus on the Survey and Manage list seems rather
odd to me as well. More research since the time that the list was made has
proven that Cantharellus formorsus is the most common Chaterelle in the
Pacific Northwest.

> > I have found numerous Tricholoma magnivelare buttons, Cantharellus
formosus,
> > Hydnum repandum  and Russula brevipes parasitized by Hypomyces
lactifluorum
> > specimens each weighing over 1 pound.
> >
> They are fairly common on the coast. It's not unusual to find clusters
> of these large fungi, expecially when hiding under Sword fern.

That didn't come across too clearly. The only fungi that was parasitized by
the H. lactifluorum was the R. brevipes.

>  During the past
> > three fall seasons this site has also produced: Tricholoma magnivelare,
> > Tricholoma flavovirens,
> > Boletus edulis, Boletus pulcherrimus, Gomphus clavatus, Gomphus
floccosus,
> > Gomphus spp.?,
> > Cantharellus formosus, Cantharellus infundibuliformis, Cantharellus
> > subalbidus, Russula brevipes, Russula xerampelina, Hydnum repandum,
> > Pseudohydnum gelatinosum, Cortinarius spp. (purple). I'm sure that I
> > overlooked other fungi as I was searching for edible species.
> >
> I know that some people consider many of the Gomphus edible. But I'd be
> careful about sharing them with others, Rex. And I'd be _very_ carefuly
> with any Cortinarius species.

I don't eat or sell Gomphus spp. or Cortinarius spp. They were noticeable as
I searched for the edible fungi.

> > The largest truffle that I have found was a Tuber gibbosum var.
autumnale
> > (1996). It weighed 1.25 pounds.
> Did you happen to get a photo of this? The largest that Dr. Trappe has
> reported was just over 8 ounces, located near Sweet Home, OR. While
> several specimens over 5 ounces were located, nothing over 8.5 ounces
> has been reported before to my knowledge.

I will keep that in mind in the future. I have found many specimens over 5
ounces, several dozen over 8 ounces and several over 12 ounces.

>  The largest Leucangium carthusiana that I
> > have found tipped the scale at 1.12 pounds (1996).
> I hope you got photos of that one to, Rex. Truly a monster if it can be
> verified.

One of my foray partners found one a bit larger but I broke it with the
stick shift of my car backing out of a store parking lot. The problem with
maintaining secrecy is that the person keeping the secrets is left out of
the flow of conversation. I have only recently joined NATS. I had collected
a species novum Leucangium for two years before a NATS member located one on
the same property and recognized it as being unique. This particular species
stains red where nicked or the gleba is exposed. I thought that it was
contaminated by some other fungi.

Rex Swartzendruber
www.trufflezone.com