Biggest, Smallest?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Sun Apr 16 06:19:14 EST 2000

In article <150420001002186454%no_spam at mycoinfo.com>,
  Brian McNett <no_spam at mycoinfo.com> wrote:
> In article <8d13qh$j4n$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>, truffler1635 at my-deja.com
> wrote:
>
> > Sure. But how about that Oxyporus nobilisimus that probably tips the
> > scales at over 300 lbs.? (BTW, what is the new genus name?) It gives new
> > meaning to word "toadstool". I had no problem standing on it at all.
> > (Oops, there goes the amphibian neighborhood.;)
>
> Bridgeoporus.
>
> BTW, that's a protected species you've got there.  Please don't STAND
> on it.  Try to keep the location quiet. Is that in Oregon, or across
> the river in Wash?
>
> Do say hi to Maggie for me.

Will do next time I see her, Brian. The Bridgeoporus was at a site I
suggested to Dr. Ammirati several years ago. Lorelei Norvell and some
other rapid mycologists went to the site, and found, I believe, 13
specimens, one of which weighed about 300 pounds. And the site has
already been listed as a protected area: No logging within the 640 acres
where the fungi have already been found. Still a fascinating area to
search, and if Bridgeoporus is as variable as I suspect it may be in
fruiting, I have found in on Noble fir trees (living) and stumps at two
other locations within about 2-3 miles from the original find. BTW, the
site is already protected within a National Scenic Area, so I doubt the
protected status of the fungi will affect logging at all. But it
_should_ and perhaps _will_ be called upon to prevent any deleterious
effects planned by the FS to "improve" access to the sites.

Ain't that ROD wonderful?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/