Mycorrhizae: What foresters _MUST_ learn about fungi

truffler1635 at truffler1635 at
Wed Apr 19 12:16:20 EST 2000

In article <20000419121641Z62846-658+29 at>,
  "Barry Saville" <bsaville at> wrote:
> By no means do I intend any disrespect but Could anybody give me the
> references that support the statements attributed to Mike Amaranthus like
> 10,000 species of fungi in a square foot or that 90% of the worlds plants
> have Mycorrhizal associations.
> --Barry Saville Bsc. MSc. PhD.
> Assistant Professor
> Biology Department
> University of Toronto at Mississauga
> bsaville at
If you are looking for citations sorry.

I questioned the 10,000 species of fungi per square foot figure myself,
Barry. I don't know where it came from, other than it was attributed to
Mike. I *think* the interviewer misunderstood that over 10,000 species
or organism exist per square foot of humus soil under Douglas fir in
Oregon (specifically the H.J. Andrews Experimental Forest). The research
was done by some of the soil scientists mentioned in the article: Dave
Perry and Andrew Moldenke. But I can't find the author's name on the
photocopy given to me.

As for 90% of the world's plants having mycorrhizal associations, that
is fairly well established to date. Some people say as many as 95%. I
have heard Dr. James Trappe state 85%, but that was several years ago.
As he explained, it is probably closer to 100%, but many plants are rare
or endangered and have not been examined to date. Until they are, they
must be considered suspect.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Sent via
Before you buy.