What percent of the world's plants have Mycorrhizae associations?

Barry Saville bsaville at credit.erin.utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 19 16:42:30 EST 2000

If one makes a statement that a number is fairly well established then that
person should be able to come up with hard numbers.  I agree that these
numbers have been thrown around by a various researchers but does anyone
know of a study where researcher went to a field plot and put down a
transect or a quadrate and looked at all the different species of plants in
that transect or quadrate to determine which ones  have mycorrhizal
associations.  Given that this has been done, there should be a reference
for it and if it has been done then has it been done in all the various
habitats around the world to determine if the level of mycorhizal
association varies between environments.  The answers to questions like
these would form the basis for statements like 90% plus of the plants are
mycorhizal.  The references where this type of work is reported are what I
am interested in finding, so that if I ever want to answer questions about
mycorhizal associations I can back up my statement with a study.
  Does any one know of these references?

--Barry Saville Bsc. MSc. PhD.
Assistant Professor
Biology Department
University of Toronto at Mississauga
bsaville at credit.erin.utoronto.ca
Phone:905-569-4702
Fax: 905-828-3792

----------
>From: truffler1635 at my-deja.com
>To: bionet-mycology at moderators.isc.org
>Newsgroups: bionet.mycology
>Subject: Re: Mycorrhizae: What foresters _MUST_ learn about fungi
>Date: Wed,Apr ,19, 2000, 1:07 PM
>

> In article <20000419121641Z62846-658+29 at credit.erin.utoronto.ca>,
>   "Barry Saville" <bsaville at credit.erin.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>> By no means do I intend any disrespect but Could anybody give me the
>> references that support the statements attributed to Mike Amaranthus like
>> 10,000 species of fungi in a square foot or that 90% of the worlds plants
>> have Mycorrhizal associations.
>> --Barry Saville Bsc. MSc. PhD.
>> Assistant Professor
>> Biology Department