Mycorrhizae: What foresters _MUST_ learn about fungi

Thom O'Dell odellt at
Fri Apr 28 03:58:05 EST 2000

For the first statement, I recommend a standard microbial ecology textbook.
Also see Bills and Polishook. 1994. Mycologia 86: 187. In their paper they
do not extrapolate to the hectare, because in their few samples they got
very low overlap of species between samples. I don't know where Amaranthus
gets a per hectare figure, intensive sampling using a variety of isolation
methods is necessary to derive such an estimate. That said it is not a
totally unreasonable figure. I believe that they isolated about 100 - 200
species of microfungi from two or four 1cc samples of decomposing leaf
The correct statement regarding the percent of plants that are mycorrhizal
is not percent of total plant species, because only about 3% of species have
been examined.  Trappe 1987 (Pp. 5-25 in Ecophysiology of VA Mycorrhizal
Plants, G. Safir Ed., CRC Press) provides the most thorough review to date.
His earlier statement that "about 95% of the worlds present species of
vascular plants belong to families that are characteristically
mycorrhizal..." (Trappe1977, Ann Rev. Phytopathol. 15: 203) is widely

Thom O'Dell

odellt at
todell/r6pnw_corvallis at