Help with ID?

David W. Fischer -- www.fischer.nu basidium at aol.com
Mon Aug 14 08:16:48 EST 2000

>I got out in the woods for a bit today, got some chanterelles(maggoty,
>darn it) and various russulas, etc., and a Lactarius that I'm not sure
>of.
>
>>From what I can see, it's either hygrophoroides or volemus. No fishy
>odor, but the light stains and gills that aren't really distant make me
>think volemus.
>
>View it at:
>
>  http://community.webtv.net/Mycofan/MycurrentMystery

The photographs posted are definitive for _Lactarius volemus_.  The
characteristic "fishy" odor is usually not evident until the mushroom is at
least "starting to get old."
David W. Fischer
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
   "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Website: http://members.aol.com/mycology