Mycophagy

Colin Davidson c.davidson at biotech.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 07:57:46 EST 2000

<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:90a9l5$ob8$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> Mycophagy is the eating of fungi. I used to think that I didn't know much
> about this subject. But in adding the species I have tried over the past
> 15-25 years, I suddenly realized I've eaten quite a few species.
>
> How many and what kind have you eaten?

Hmmmm... Here goes (dunno if this is a complete list, it's always so hard to
remember them all). I've been lucky in that I've lived in several cities in
the UK, with very different geologies and climates. I've been into mushrooms
for about 11 years.

I've also been meaning to compile a list for ages, so here goes. Apologies
for dodgy taxonomy (especially the Russulas) and spelling.

Oddly enough, I've never eaten any of the milk caps. Something about the
smell has always put me off.

Agaricus bisporus
Agaricus silvaticus
Agaricus langei
Agaricus bernardii
Agaricus campestris
Agaricus silvicola
Agaricus comtulus
Agaricus bitorquis
Agaricus augustus
Agaricus macrosporus
Agaricus arvensis

Helvella crispa

Morchella esculenta
Morchella vulgaris

Laccaria amethysta
Laccaria laccata

Fistulina hepatica

Marasmius oreades (but who hasn't?)

Clitocybe nebularis
Clitocybe gigantea
Clitocybe odora
Clitocybe infundibuliformis

Peziza coccinea
Peziza aurantia

Cantharellus cibarius
Cantharellus infundibuliformis (over rated)

Calvatia exipuliformis
Calvatia utriformis
Calvatia gigantea

Lycoperdon perlatum
Lycoperdon pyriforme

Bovista plumbea
Bovista nigrescens

Suillus luteus

Boletus badius
Boletus luridus (only later have I found that some people can't eat it)
Boletus erythropus
Boletus edulis
Boletus chrysenteron
Boletus piperatus

Polyporus squamosus
Polyporus sulphureus

Grifola frondosa
Grifola gigantea (MUCH underrated, very tasty when young)

Leccinum versipelle
Leccinum crossipodium
Leccinum scabrum (blandest mushroom on the planet)

Pleurotus ostreatus (several coloured varieties, from almost white to nearly
black, and one with a greenish tinge)
Pleurotus cornucopiae

Coprinus comatus
Coprinus atramentarius (when I was too young to get served at the pub)
Coprinus disseminatus

Lyophyllum decastes

Lepista nuda
Lepista saeva
Lepista sordida

Lepiota rhacodes
Lepiota rhacodes var. hortensis (new on me this year, I was surprised by how
much it differs from other L. rhacodes)
Lepiota procera

Amanita fulva
Amanita rubescens (very well cooked, not worth it!)

Armillaria mellea

Calocybe gambosum

Tricholoma rutilans (looks much better than it tastes)

Russula cyanoxantha
Russula virascens
Russula densifolia
Russula parazurea
Russula atropurpurea
Russula nitida
Russula nigricans
Russula ochraleuca
Ryssula xerampelina (how IS the taxonomy on this one these days?)
Russula ionochlora
Russula claroflava (the best russula, IMHO)
Russula rosea