Mycophagy

Colin A. B. Davidson c.davidson at biotech.cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 4 17:15:58 EST 2000

"Edwin Hutton" <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:3A2BCDB6.AD8DF1D4 at ic.ac.uk...
> My total now up to 63 - a lot more than I realised.
>
> I have not got round to the Grifola's, always got something better
> after collecting it.

Mine seems to be growing too...It's amazing how manyt you try over the
years, isn't it?

> Colin - Clitocybe nebularis is quoted as risky - what is it like?

It's pretty good, kind of peppery. I believe that the problem is that like
any shrooms on leaf litter, it does tend to accumulate heavy metals. So I
think moderation is the order of the day!

> Amanita rubescens - How long should one cook it? I can not find
> consistent comments on it (Marcel Bon says it's good but everyone
> else reckons it needs care).

Oh, certainly be careful!

The main problem is confusing this species with other Amanitas, so take
extreme care with that. I cook them to smitherines, I only (very
occasionally) use them in casseroles.