Mycophagy

B.W. Freyburger freyburg at cia-g.com
Tue Dec 5 04:50:09 EST 2000

<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:90a9l5$ob8$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> Mycophagy is the eating of fungi. I used to think that I didn't know much
> about this subject. But in adding the species I have tried over the past
> 15-25 years, I suddenly realized I've eaten quite a few species.
>
> How many and what kind have you eaten?

List snipped

> Daniel B. Wheeler
> www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
>

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I gather our associates from the other side of the pond do not take to
oriental cuisine as they fail to list shiitakes or chinese black fungus.
You just can't have a proper hot and sour soup without Auricularia in some
form.  No one seems to have listed straw mushrooms (Volvariella volvacea).
Also no one has listed enoki (Flammulina velutipes).

Anyway, here's my list, but I am sure I forgot some and probably expose
myself hereby to being found taxonomically out-of-date:

Agaricus arvensis
Agaricus bisporus
Agaricus campestris
Agaricus osecanus group
Agaricus silvicola
Agaricus sp. (many not identified down to species---luckily I never met an
Agaricus I didn't like)
Armillariella mellea
Armillariella ostoyae
Auricularia auricula
Auricularia polytricha
Boletus barrowsii
Boletus edulis
Calvatia booniana ?
Calvatia gigantea group
Cantharellus cibarius
Coprinus atramentarius
Coprinus comatus
Dentinum repandum
Flammulina velutipes (enoki)
Hericium erinaceus
Leccinum insigne
Lentinula edodes
Lycoperdon pyriforme
Macrolepiota procera
Morchella deliciosa group
Morchella elata group
Morchella esculenta
Pleurotis ostreatus
Suillus granulatus
Suillus kaibabensis
Volvariella volvacea

Also an anise smelling fungus that grew on the downed trunks of ponderosa
pines in the mountains of eastern Washington.  I am not sure what it was but
local people claimed it was rather good and quite edible.  It was.  This was
almost 25 years ago and I don't remember much more about it, but have not
seen it in the southwest even though ponderosa pines are abundant.  Any
ideas?

There are probably some I have tried and forgotten to include.

I currently have dried spcimens of the following waiting for me to try them
sometime when I get around to it:

Albatrellus ovinus**
Albatrellus confluens?**
Amanita caesarea group (maybe I will get up the nerve to try this)
Dentinum umbilicatum
Flammulina velutipes (wild)
Leccinum subalpinum
Lentinus ponderosus
Lepista nuda
Russula xerampelina**
Suillus americanus/sibiricus
Suillus lakei**

The following are plentiful here in wet years and the next time we have a
wet summer (the last one certainly was not) I may try them:

Clavariadelphus truncatus*
Helvella lancunosa**
Hygrophorus erubescens*
Hygrophorus speciosus*
Lactarius probably barrowsii* (I always ignored this Lactarius which is
plentiful in many  areas where I find Boletus barrowsii until one
    trip to my favorite patch when I  found many cut up remains and
trimmings of both barrowsiis left by other pickers,  which got me
interested in the Lactarius.  Alas, last summer was very dry and neither of
these barrowsiis were to be found.)
Pholiota squarrosa (with caution-this is reported to have been a favorite
amongst Basque  shepherds in this area though it
    is reported to cause digestive upsets in many people)

*often found with Boletus barrowsii which generally diverted my attention
**often found with Cantharellus cibarius which always diverts my attention

B.W. Freyburger
New Mexico