Mycophagy

Colin A. B. Davidson c.davidson at biotech.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 12:19:47 EST 2000

<truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
news:90ho74$73s$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...

> Another quite impressive list, Edwin. This kind of puts the lie to
> England being mycophobic, which I've seen repeated over and over again.
> But it does seem to me you are more adventurous than I am willing to be,
> especially with the Amanita fulva.
>
> BTW, did you know that Tuber aestivum (summer truffle) is reported from
> Great Britain under or near beech trees? Could be another addition to
> your list!

I've seen a well eaten truffle in the ground after chasing a squirrel away,
but to be honest I didn't much fancy eating it. It wasn't in the best of
states!

But you are right, the summer truffle is certainly a native here. Squirrels
and (I hear) deer are known to dig them up, so it's a good idea to watch
them closely.