Mycophagy

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 12:20:08 EST 2000

"B.W. Freyburger" wrote:

> <truffler1635 at my-deja.com> wrote in message
> news:90a9l5$ob8$1 at nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Mycophagy is the eating of fungi. I used to think that I didn't know much
> > about this subject. But in adding the species I have tried over the past
> > 15-25 years, I suddenly realized I've eaten quite a few species.
> >
> > How many and what kind have you eaten?
> >
> List snipped
> >
> > Daniel B. Wheeler
> > www.oregonwhitetruffles.com
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >

> I gather our associates from the other side of the pond do not take to
> oriental cuisine as they fail to list shiitakes or chinese black fungus.
> You just can't have a proper hot and sour soup without Auricularia in some
> form.  No one seems to have listed straw mushrooms (Volvariella volvacea).
> Also no one has listed enoki (Flammulina velutipes).

Our lists are actually wild species, not cultivated ones. The above
just don't occur in the wild (except Auricularia Auricula-Judae which
just comes out rubbery if stewed).

> Anyway, here's my list, but I am sure I forgot some and probably expose
> myself hereby to being found taxonomically out-of-date:

Some species snipped
> Agaricus sp. (many not identified down to species---luckily I never met an
Agaricus I didn't like)
You are lucky, A. Bernardii tastes fishy and A.Xanthoderma of ink
if you don't get a tummy upset.
> Coprinus atramentarius
Are you teetotal when eating mushrooms?
> Coprinus comatus
>
> There are probably some I have tried and forgotten to include.
>
> I currently have dried spcimens of the following waiting for me to try them
> sometime when I get around to it:
>
> Flammulina velutipes (wild)
The caps are rather flabby and tasteless according to the books.
> Lepista nuda
IMHO this is the emperor of mushrooms (Boletus Edulis is only king)
> Russula xerampelina**
>
> Pholiota squarrosa (with caution-this is reported to have been a favorite
> amongst Basque  shepherds in this area though it
>     is reported to cause digestive upsets in many people)
I tried this once (forgot it from my list). It came out as
radish flavoured rubber and I spat it out quickly.

Edwin Hutton