Mycophagy

Colin A. B. Davidson c.davidson at biotech.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 5 12:41:16 EST 2000

"Edwin Hutton" <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:3A2D1BE2.A3E4A30 at ic.ac.uk...
> You are lucky, A. Bernardii tastes fishy and A.Xanthoderma of ink
> if you don't get a tummy upset.

A. bernardii tastes fishy? Hmmm... Not that I've come across.  I quite like
it.

You're right about A. xanthoderma, though. Which is a shame, as the housing
estate I currently live on is covered in the things. We've got one fairy
ring of it that's at least 40 feet across growing on a football pitch.

> > Coprinus atramentarius
> Are you teetotal when eating mushrooms?

I used to eat this one myself before I was old enough to get served in the
pub.

> > Lepista nuda
> IMHO this is the emperor of mushrooms (Boletus Edulis is only king)

Blewits are indeed very fine fungi. Have you ever lived in or near the East
Midlans of England? Blewits are sold in many greengrocers (wild ones, mostly
field blewits) at the right time of year. In Nottingham especially the
locals go crazy over them, they cook them in the same way as the Scots cook
tripe (with onions, stewed in milk, with mashed potato).

> > Pholiota squarrosa (with caution-this is reported to have been a
favorite
> > amongst Basque  shepherds in this area though it
> >     is reported to cause digestive upsets in many people)
> I tried this once (forgot it from my list). It came out as
> radish flavoured rubber and I spat it out quickly.

Hmmmm... Is this one -really- edible? It seems a bit tough. Is it better
cooked, perhaps?