truffler1635 at truffler1635 at
Tue Dec 5 16:39:21 EST 2000

In article <90iu5j$6i9$1 at>,
  "Colin A. B. Davidson" <c.davidson at> wrote:
> <truffler1635 at> wrote in message
> news:90hnu6$70a$1 at
> > In article <90dcj6$lrt$1 at>,
> >   "Colin Davidson" <c.davidson at> wrote:
> > Truly impressive list, Colin. Did you find all of these yourself, or were
> > some given to you, did you purchase any of them?
> At one time or another I've found and eaten all of those. As I say, I've
> been lucky in where I've lived. I suspect also that our towns and cities
> here in the UK have a greater fungal diversity than equivalent areas in the
> USA. We tend to have patches of ground that have had trees on them for
> hundreds of years right in our towns, and that can lead to some surprising
> diversity on your doorstep.
> For example, I've found something like 10 or 11 edible Agaricus species of
> around Nottingham University. I've come across morels growing on
> woodchippings by a tennis centre. One of the sports fields in Cambridge that
> I know has yielded 9 edible species, etc.
You could be right, Colin. <G>

OTOH, the 20 acre plantation of Douglas fir I hunted at yesterday yielded
Oregon White truffles (Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale)
Common laccaria (Laccaria laccata)
Amethyst laccaria (Laccaria amethystina-occidentalis)
Macrolepiota rhacodes (growing on large ant nests)
Hymenogaster parksii (or similar sps)
Barssia oregonensis
Rhizopogon parksii
Rhizopogon vinicolor
Rhizopogon sps (not of the above sps)
A diminutive Lacterius species less than an inch across (but beautiful
Helvella lacunosa
Mycogone sps. on Helvella lacunosa
Clitocybe sclerotoidea on Helvella lacunosa
Amanita gemmata
Suillus luteus
about 20 unidentified species at this time,
and has produced
Leucangium carthusiana (Oregon Black truffle)
and Tuber anniae (an interesting late summer greenish truffle).

It may be a simple plantation of even-aged Douglas fir. But there is
considerable diversity even within plantation. Fortunately Douglas fir
associates with an estimated 2000 ectomycorrhizal fungi in this area.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Sent via
Before you buy.