Mycophagy

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 09:10:48 EST 2000

"Colin A. B. Davidson" wrote:

> "Edwin Hutton" <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:3A2D1BE2.A3E4A30 at ic.ac.uk...
> > You are lucky, A. Bernardii tastes fishy and A.Xanthoderma of ink
> > if you don't get a tummy upset.
>
> A. bernardii tastes fishy? Hmmm... Not that I've come across.  I quite like
> it.

It goes fishy if you keep it for a day. I don't like the texture
though - this is a matter of taste.

> You're right about A. xanthoderma, though. Which is a shame, as the housing
> estate I currently live on is covered in the things. We've got one fairy
> ring of it that's at least 40 feet across growing on a football pitch.
>
> > > Coprinus atramentarius
> > Are you teetotal when eating mushrooms?
>
> I used to eat this one myself before I was old enough to get served in the
> pub.
>
> > > Lepista nuda
> > IMHO this is the emperor of mushrooms (Boletus Edulis is only king)
>
> Blewits are indeed very fine fungi. Have you ever lived in or near the East
> Midlans of England? Blewits are sold in many greengrocers (wild ones, mostly
> field blewits) at the right time of year. In Nottingham especially the
> locals go crazy over them, they cook them in the same way as the Scots cook
> tripe (with onions, stewed in milk, with mashed potato).

So I have heard. I am a very mush sout of Watford person though, and
have to rely on what I can find. Last year our local Sainsbury's
had some Blewits for sale at circa 10UKP per pound - I think they
were French due to the overall pale blue colour (Lepista Personata?)
and they looked awfully tired. Needless to say I didn't buy any.

> > > Pholiota squarrosa (with caution-this is reported to have been a
> favorite
> > > amongst Basque  shepherds in this area though it
> > >     is reported to cause digestive upsets in many people)
> > I tried this once (forgot it from my list). It came out as
> > radish flavoured rubber and I spat it out quickly.
>
> Hmmmm... Is this one -really- edible? It seems a bit tough. Is it better
> cooked, perhaps?

Marcel Bon describes it as edible but poor. Actually I popped a couple
of young ones under the grill (which I find works well with most
mushrooms) and they came out quite inedible. Goodness only knows how
the Basque shepherds cook them.
Actually if you try a bit raw it is quite crunchy, though the
strong radish flavour is rather peculiar. 'Poor' is quite an
understatement, but Bon has a sense of humour (Lactarius Turpis is
described as 'Not a good edible fungus').

Edwin Hutton