Mycophagy

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 09:11:52 EST 2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <3A2B612D.F276DA3A at ic.ac.uk>,
>   Edwin Hutton <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> > truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
> > >
> > > Mycophagy is the eating of fungi. I used to think that I didn't know much
> > > about this subject. But in adding the species I have tried over the past
> > > 15-25 years, I suddenly realized I've eaten quite a few species.
> > >
> > > How many and what kind have you eaten?
> > >
> > List of 44 snipped.
> >
> > Going from memory here is my list (sout east UK)
> >
> Another quite impressive list, Edwin. This kind of puts the lie to
> England being mycophobic, which I've seen repeated over and over again.

Just Colin Davidson and me replying does not make England any less
mycophobic. Actually the general fear of eating wild fungi is
on balance quite a good thing as our poisons units get far fewer
cases to deal with. Also it leaves more for Colin and I to gather.

> But it does seem to me you are more adventurous than I am willing to be,
> especially with the Amanita fulva.

This was interesting. Marcel Bon describes it as edible with a
distinctive flavour. One day I came across an area of woodland with
a magnificent display of A. Fulva, and I thought it worth a try,
as they were in such good condition that I couldn't make a mistake.
I took some home, and it took a bit of confidence building before
I had a go ('go on Edwin, you know they're OK' and all that).
There were of course no ill effects, but there was very little
flavour either. You haven't missed much.

> BTW, did you know that Tuber aestivum (summer truffle) is reported from
> Great Britain under or near beech trees? Could be another addition to
> your list!
I have looked under beech on occasions but have never found any :-(