B.W. Freyburger freyburg at
Wed Dec 6 09:12:13 EST 2000

"Edwin Hutton" <e.hutton at> wrote in message
news:3A2D1BE2.A3E4A30 at

> > Agaricus sp. (many not identified down to species---luckily I never met
> Agaricus I didn't like)
> You are lucky, A. Bernardii tastes fishy and A.Xanthoderma of ink
> if you don't get a tummy upset.

> > Coprinus atramentarius
> Are you teetotal when eating mushrooms?
Not often, but generally when I eat atramentarius, though I have consumed it
often in the past with alcohol without adverse effect.  Most common
poisoning results from consumption of alcohol about 8 hours after consuming
atramentarius.  I greatly prefer C. comatus.

> > Pholiota squarrosa (with caution-this is reported to have been a
> > amongst Basque  shepherds in this area though it
> >     is reported to cause digestive upsets in many people)
> I tried this once (forgot it from my list). It came out as
> radish flavoured rubber and I spat it out quickly.

They say here it has a garlic flavor.  I have not yet tried it.