Mycophagy

Colin A. B. Davidson c.davidson at biotech.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 6 12:43:11 EST 2000

"Edwin Hutton" <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:3A2E0864.99144DBD at ic.ac.uk...
> truffler1635 at my-deja.com wrote:
> Just Colin Davidson and me replying does not make England any less
> mycophobic. Actually the general fear of eating wild fungi is
> on balance quite a good thing as our poisons units get far fewer
> cases to deal with. Also it leaves more for Colin and I to gather.

Indeed. There have been many times that I have been out picking, and someone
will stop and warn me just how dangerour what I'm doing is. Warning like
"No, don't pick that, it's not a mushroom it's a toadstool" seem awfully
common. This year, after just such a warning, I got an 18 inch giant
puffball out of my rucksack, that seemed to convince the onlooker that I
knew what I was doing.

I don't think that the public in the UK are mycophobes, it's more that it
just isn't part of our culture to go and pick anything more exotic than
horse mushrooms. Most people here are simply never exposed to the concept of
picking mushrooms.