Mycophagy

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Dec 6 12:43:12 EST 2000

In article <3A2E0613.7F2AECC4 at ic.ac.uk>,
  Edwin Hutton <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote:
> "Colin A. B. Davidson" wrote:
> >
> > "Edwin Hutton" <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > news:3A2D1BE2.A3E4A30 at ic.ac.uk...
> > > You are lucky, A. Bernardii tastes fishy and A.Xanthoderma of ink
> > > if you don't get a tummy upset.
> >
> > A. bernardii tastes fishy? Hmmm... Not that I've come across.  I quite like
> > it.
>
> It goes fishy if you keep it for a day. I don't like the texture
> though - this is a matter of taste.
> >
> > You're right about A. xanthoderma, though. Which is a shame, as the housing
> > estate I currently live on is covered in the things. We've got one fairy
> > ring of it that's at least 40 feet across growing on a football pitch.

> > > Are you teetotal when eating mushrooms?
> >
> > I used to eat this one myself before I was old enough to get served in the
> > pub.

> > > IMHO this is the emperor of mushrooms (Boletus Edulis is only king)
> >
> > Blewits are indeed very fine fungi. Have you ever lived in or near the East
> > Midlans of England? Blewits are sold in many greengrocers (wild ones, mostly
> > field blewits) at the right time of year. In Nottingham especially the
> > locals go crazy over them, they cook them in the same way as the Scots cook
> > tripe (with onions, stewed in milk, with mashed potato).
>
> So I have heard. I am a very mush sout of Watford person though, and
> have to rely on what I can find. Last year our local Sainsbury's
> had some Blewits for sale at circa 10UKP per pound - I think they
> were French due to the overall pale blue colour (Lepista Personata?)
> and they looked awfully tired. Needless to say I didn't buy any.

You may want to grow a few of your own, then. Blewitts are easily
cultivated (IMHO) and readily grow here on old ryegrass and wheat straw
which have been left out the fall rains to (accidentally) become
supersaturated.

Supersaturation of straw allows many mushrooms to be cultivated. I've
grown Blewitt, Oyster, and Stropharia rugosa-annulata this way. And the
residue makes wonderful tree fertilizer, so I grow the whole thing under
full-canopy Douglas fir where I also cultivate Oregon White truffles.
Some years, when rainfall is short (as this year) I wish I had done this
last year. Why? The old straw acts as a moisture accumulator, and
actually exudes water which the truffles then use for production.

In our area perennial and annual ryegrass is abundantly cultivated.
Supposedly the straw can be cultivated with a wide variety of mushrooms,
but in addition to the above, I have only heard of Hericium erinaceus and
Lentinula edodes cultivation for sure. Since both these species produce
more prolifically on 90% sawdust/chips amended with 10% chopped straw,
most growers go for this formula.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

> > favorite
> > > I tried this once (forgot it from my list). It came out as
> > > radish flavoured rubber and I spat it out quickly.
> >
> > Hmmmm... Is this one -really- edible? It seems a bit tough. Is it better
> > cooked, perhaps?
>
> Marcel Bon describes it as edible but poor. Actually I popped a couple
> of young ones under the grill (which I find works well with most
> mushrooms) and they came out quite inedible. Goodness only knows how
> the Basque shepherds cook them.
> Actually if you try a bit raw it is quite crunchy, though the
> strong radish flavour is rather peculiar. 'Poor' is quite an
> understatement, but Bon has a sense of humour (Lactarius Turpis is
> described as 'Not a good edible fungus').
>
> Edwin Hutton

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.