Mycophagy

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Thu Dec 7 06:00:21 EST 2000

"Colin A. B. Davidson" wrote:

> "Edwin Hutton" <e.hutton at ic.ac.uk> wrote in message
> news:3A2E0613.7F2AECC4 at ic.ac.uk...
> >
> > So I have heard. I am a very mush sout of Watford person though, and
> > have to rely on what I can find. Last year our local Sainsbury's
> > had some Blewits for sale at circa 10UKP per pound - I think they
> > were French due to the overall pale blue colour (Lepista Personata?)
> > and they looked awfully tired. Needless to say I didn't buy any.
>
> Errm, there's a farm in the Wiltshire producing blewits that are really
> awfully pale. Dunno quite what species... Lets see if I can find the
> newspaper article...
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/et?ac=003947993745328&rtmo=qxLbtJ99&atmo=rrrrrrrq
> &pg=/et/00/11/16/edtam16.html

Thanks Colin. I read the electronic torygraph but don't usually look
at Food and Drink, so I missed this one. Wonder where they sell
their blewits and how much they charge. Hyde Park (London) has been
very poor this year, though Sussex is doing fine.

> > Marcel Bon describes it as edible but poor. Actually I popped a couple
> > of young ones under the grill (which I find works well with most
> > mushrooms) and they came out quite inedible. Goodness only knows how
> > the Basque shepherds cook them.
> > Actually if you try a bit raw it is quite crunchy, though the
> > strong radish flavour is rather peculiar. 'Poor' is quite an
> > understatement, but Bon has a sense of humour (Lactarius Turpis is
> > described as 'Not a good edible fungus').
>
> *snigger*
>
> I wonder if they might benefit from long, slow casseroling?

I wouldn't bother unless I was so hard up that I needed the free
food and this was all I could find.

Edwin Hutton