Edwin Hutton e.hutton at
Thu Dec 7 06:00:26 EST 2000

Darvin DeShazer wrote:
> In article <90a9l5$ob8$1 at>, truffler1635 at
> wrote:
> >Mycophagy is the eating of fungi.
> >How many and what kind have you eaten?
> These were eaten from Northern California.  A couple were grown, most
> were collect at least three times before consuming.  It is always fun to
> try a new one!
> Darvin
A most impressive list. A good deal of them are not known this side
of the pond. You are very enthusiastic, I would not bother with a lot
of these as the yield is usually too poor.

This reminds me of a few I had forgotten, viz.
> Agrocybe praecox (tastes of burnt barbecued steak)
> Boletus aereus
> Clitopilus prunulus
> Dentinum repandum (known as Hydnum Repandum over here)
> Volvariella speciosa IIRC
I think I'm up to about 67 but am losing count...

A couple of comments
(> Hypholoma capnoides - I thought Hypholomas were mildly poisonous)
(> Calvatia gigantea, I wonder if this is Langermannia Gigantea, the
   giant puffball, up to 8 pounds or more, with a cheesy flavour?)