Orphan edibles

Basidium basidium at aol.com
Fri Dec 8 13:51:49 EST 2000

>What  have in mind is Hygrophorus fuligineus, which has been almost totally
>neglected in recent field guides.  The authoritative Bessette et al.
>Mushrooms of  Northeastern  North America only has it in a key and states:
>"edibility unknown."

For reasons that ought to be obvious, we chose to apply this mycophagically
conservative term unless a mushroom is fairly widely eaten, with the exception
of species with which we had firsthand mycophagy experience.

My contribution as an "Orphan Edible": Cantharellula umbonata, the "Grayling."
Delicious though dainty, often abundant in expansive beds of Polytrichum
(Haircap Moss).  Yum.
David W. Fischer
Coauthor, "Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America" and
   "Mushrooms of Northeastern North America"
E-mail: basidium at aol.com
Website: http://members.aol.com/mycology