Truffles in Maine?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Mon Dec 11 04:51:54 EST 2000

In article <3A33FB0B.78D07A58 at landmarknet.net>,
  crhall at landmarknet.net wrote:

> --------------D7DFB74C4FEBD8E128D13F10
>
> Can anyone tell me if there are any wild truffle species growing in
> Maine or New Hampshire?  If so, what habitat would support what
> variety?   I am also very interested in learning about all edible forms
> of fungi in the Northeast (particularly the mountains of Maine).  Any
> information regarding classes etc. would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks everyone
> :)

Dr. James Trappe has identified truffles as any hypogeous fungi which
does not forcibly discharge its spores, and relies largely on animals for
spore dispersal. Under that definition, Maine is known to have several
truffle species.

Rhizopogons are fairly common with Pinus species. R. rubescens is fairly
common with 5-needle pines such as Sugar, White, and Whitebark pines.

I have found one Pachyphloeus, which was associated with chestnut here in
Oregon. They can be at considerable depth. While I found my collection in
either September or October, your material may fruit earlier or later
(I'd suspect earlier, about the time the chestnuts drop).

Several species of Genea are known from Main and the Northwest states (I
would presume New Hampshire as well). In addition, some Genabea species
have been resported from there, as well as other hypogeous species such
as Elaphomyces granulatus, which Dr. Alexander H. Smith considered to be
the most common hypogeous fungi of the Northern Hemisphere.

Possible host trees/plants would include Pinus, Tsuga, chestnut, Quercus,
honeysuckle, birch, beech and nut species.

You may also want to contact the North American Truffling Society, PO Box
296, Corvallis, OR 97339 with your questions.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.