Mycophagy

Edwin Hutton e.hutton at ic.ac.uk
Mon Dec 11 08:44:48 EST 2000

"Colin A. B. Davidson" wrote:

> "Basidium" <basidium at aol.com> wrote in message
> news:20001208133336.02322.00003504 at ng-fr1.aol.com...
> >
> > OK... Now... have you had any untoward reactions to any of these?  If so,
> > please do detail.  Some would argue that it is inevitable that any human
> will
> > find species which contain amino acids which "do not agree with them."
>
> Indeed, it would seem so.
>
> I can't speak for anyone else, but I feel decidedly off colour if I eat wood
> blewits and shaggy parasols in the same meal. I've a friend who, for some
> odd reason, is sick every time she eats Agaricus macrosporus.

I have to be a bit wary of shaggy parasol too, but have no trouble
with wood blewits. Mind you I tend to keep my consumption down to
no more than 4oz. at a time, following an incident many years
ago when I ate 8oz. of undercooked field blewits and got rid of
them a couple of hours later. This was a bit odd as I have had
no further trouble with these and they are regarded as totally safe.

Edwin Hutton