Maine truffles?

GEORGE W. HUDLER gwh2 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 11 15:47:52 EST 2000

Dear C & L Hall,

I received specimens of what I am pretty sure were Tuber lyonii
(Mycotaxaon 60: 365-372) collected near an old willow tree in central
New York and I'd guess that if they grow here, they'll grow in Maine.
Presence of our specimens in the genus Tuber were confirmed with
comparison of a specific region of the DNA molecule known as the ITS
region.  It's a part between genes and not likely to change with
changes in the surrounding environment, so we're pretty confident
that what we had were real truffles.  Unfortunately, we had only a
few and they all ended up in our herbarium rather than on my plate!

Good luck!

Geo. Hudler.
George W. Hudler, Professor
Dept. of Plant Pathology
319 Plant Science Bldg., Cornell Univ.
Ithaca, NY 14853
Phone:  607-255-7848 (office)   607-539-6834 (home)
FAX:  607-255-4471	Home e-mail:  Hudlures at aol.com