Maine truffles?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Tue Dec 12 06:20:30 EST 2000

In article <p04320408b65a9e6cd72d@[132.236.30.81]>,
  "GEORGE W. HUDLER" <gwh2 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Dear C & L Hall,
>
> I received specimens of what I am pretty sure were Tuber lyonii
> (Mycotaxaon 60: 365-372) collected near an old willow tree in central
> New York and I'd guess that if they grow here, they'll grow in Maine.
> Presence of our specimens in the genus Tuber were confirmed with
> comparison of a specific region of the DNA molecule known as the ITS
> region.  It's a part between genes and not likely to change with
> changes in the surrounding environment, so we're pretty confident
> that what we had were real truffles.  Unfortunately, we had only a
> few and they all ended up in our herbarium rather than on my plate!
>
> Good luck!
>
> Geo. Hudler.
> George W. Hudler, Professor
> Dept. of Plant Pathology
> 319 Plant Science Bldg., Cornell Univ.
> Ithaca, NY 14853
> Phone:  607-255-7848 (office)   607-539-6834 (home)
> FAX:  607-255-4471	Home e-mail:  Hudlures at aol.com

Thanks for posting, George. I received an inquiry several years ago about
a truffle found in NY under willow, but could only guess at the species.
It's always nice to have confirmation that it was T. lyoni. BTW, do you
have any idea why this is not more sought after?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.