Hericium freeze tolerance?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Wed Dec 13 04:57:41 EST 2000

In article <20001212122408.06154.00000113 at ng-ff1.aol.com>,
  rushwayne at aol.com (RushWayne) wrote:
> Does anyone here know whether Lions Mane (Hericium
> erinaceus) spawn can tolerate shipping in freezing
> conditions?
No personal experience Rush. But I would doubt it would survive without
some freeze damage. I have seen Hericium corraloides after freeze: it
turns into the typical mushy mass associated with most frozen mushrooms,
and is far more likely to develop secondary fungal colonization: not all
of which are likely to be edible.

As an additional point, I have never seen Hericium erinaceus fruiting in
freezing weather: a strong point against freeze survival without
considerable damage.

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com