Truffles in Maine?

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Fri Dec 15 04:49:42 EST 2000

In article <20001214094155.04173.00000213 at ng-cg1.aol.com>,
  basidium at aol.com (Basidium) wrote:
> >Dr. James Trappe has identified truffles as any hypogeous fungi which
> >does not forcibly discharge its spores, and relies largely on animals for
> >spore dispersal.
>
> This surprises me!  Are you certain that he did not add the word "ascomycete"
> in his definition?  I am not used to thinking of *any* basidiomycetes as
> "truffles."
It may seem unusual, but it is in fact, true. Many of the hypogeous
basidiomycete spores are trapped inside the underground container
(sporocarp) and still rely on animal or insect mycophagy for dispersal.
Several of them are quite good eating, as well. <G>

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/