Fungi fd. 12/18/2000

truffler1635 at my-deja.com truffler1635 at my-deja.com
Mon Dec 18 08:39:46 EST 2000

While other parts of the country are waiting for their annual mushroom
display (like California), and a large part of the country is already
past the fall forage stage (like Oregon) the following fungi were
observed or collected in WA at 1000' elevation under nearly pure canopy
Douglas fir:

Tuber gibbosum var. autumnale (Oregon White truffles, 2 lbs.)
Tuber gibbosum var. gibbosum (Oregon Gray truffle)
Hymenogaster parksii
Barssia oregonensis
Clitocybe sclerotoidea
Amanita gemmata
Rhizopogon vinicolor
Rhizopogon villosulus
Rhizopogon parksii
Lacterius rufum
Bulgaria sps or Sarcosoma globosum
Helvella lacunosa
Laccaria laccata
Macrolepiota rhacodes (very old)
At least 10 other fungus which I did not recognize, including at least
one species of Psilocybe apparently growing from conifer leaf litter.

Finally, an unknown fungus, looks like either a Clitocybe or
Leucopaxillus, bright red-orange, with decurrent white gills. Abundantly
fruiting with Macrolepiota on a thatcher-ant nest about 4 feet tall and
perhaps 3 feet diameter. Observed 3 Macrolepiota (nearly too old to
identify) and perhaps 20 of this bright mostly yellowish, wavy-capped
mushroom 3+ inches across. I first thought they were old chanterelles,
but with white gills and still fresh (after a hard freeze only last
week). Anyone have a guess to share?

Daniel B. Wheeler
www.oregonwhitetruffles.com

Sent via Deja.com